Joe has three decades of research experience integrating genomics with breeding and germplasm conservation activities. During his career at CIAT, Joe and his team mentored a large number of research assistants to pursue graduate study at universities in Australia, Canada, Colombia, France, Germany, the UK, and the US. He proposed in 2013 to build Future Seeds, a new Genetic Resources facilities with Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) and Living Building Challenges certifications, and a digital genebank also for digital education. He coordinated the technical aspects of the establishment of Future Seeds. Joe holds a Ph.D. in Crop Sciences from Michigan State University and is based in Palmira, Colombia.
He is a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) and a recipient of the Medalla del Mérito from Los Andes University, Bogotá, Colombia, and Colombia’s Orden Nacional al Mérito, the nation’s award of merit, which conveys the title of “Caballero” (Knight) for his dedication to crop improvement and his mentorship of younger scientists.
From April 2023 Joe is the managing director for the Americas Region.
- Forming a core collection of Phaseolus vulgaris L
- Technology-driven partnerships: overview
- Cassava cryopreservation by rapid freezing methodology
- Marker assisted selection of apomixis in Brachiaria breeding through SCAR-N14 a…
- Use of Plant Genetic Resources: Germplasm
- Globetrotting crops: A contribution by ICA and the Alliance of Bioversity Inter…
- Investing wisely to end hunger and strengthen agriculture, with no region left …
- Tour Future Seeds with Joe Tohme