Agrobiodiversity at the Food Systems Pre-Summit
The Alliance and CGIAR is excited to co-host the UNFSS affiliated session: "Agrobiodiversity for a Sustainable Future".
Partners: UNCCD, CGIAR/Alliance of Bioversity CIAT, UNCBD, UNFCCC, IFAD, The Global Crop Diversity Trust, ITPGRFA, WWF
Agrobiodiversity is the foundation of our food systems. The wealth and variety of plants, animals and microorganisms that inhabit our ecosystems provide us with food, jobs and essential ecosystem services for people and the planet. But this diversity is threatened by unsustainable production practices.
While the ongoing efforts to conserve biodiversity have not succeeded in fully stemming the tide of these losses, there is still a chance to safeguard what is left of our world’s agrobiodiversity. In a world facing climate, environmental, health and biodiversity crises, agrobiodiversity is part of the solution. Agrobiodiversity has emerged as one of the game-changing solutions within the preparation process of the UN Food System Summit.
This session will discuss the challenges and opportunities for increasing the use and conservation of agrobiodiversity to transform food systems into sustainable, equitable and resilient ones. As part of the discussion, representatives from the UNFSS solution clusters on agrobiodiversity will present the ideas and propositions generated as part of the preparation process to the UN Food Systems Summit and gather feedback from the audience.
Moderator: Juan Lucas Restrepo, Director General, Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT; Global director, Partnership and Advocacy, CGIAR
- Ibrahim Thiaw, Executive Secretary, UNCCD
- Patricia Espinosa, Executive Secretary, UNFCCC
- Elizabeth Maruma Mrema, Executive Secretary, UNCBD
- Carlo Fadda, Research Director, Biodiversity for food and agriculture, Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT, CGIAR
- Stephan Schmitz, Executive Director, The Global Crop Diversity Trust
- Rikke Olivera Grand, Senior Global Technical Specialist, IFAD
- Kent Nnadozie, Secretary, International Treaty on Plant Genetic Resources for Food and Agriculture
- Florence Jeantet, Managing director, OP2B
- Juan Lucas Restrepo, Director General, Alliance of Bioversity International and CIAT; Global director, Partnership and Advocacy, CGIAR
For more on Agrobiodiversity
Learn about the 2nd International Agrobiodiversity Congress, occurring 15-18 November 2021.