Information Services at CIAT
At its peak, CIAT library occupied three floors and employed thirty-five people. It was open from 7am to midnight, and stayed open on the weekends. The librarians who worked there could track down research material on anything you needed, using a ‘database’ made of small paper cards and an elaborate system of interlibrary loan. The library was your very own screenless Internet. Your librarians worked to provide Open Access to the best research possible.
These days, Google makes it easy to find information on just about everything – from directions to your next appointment, to videos on how to speak a new language. The library has shrunk and is largely self-serve. Unsurprisingly, researchers do much of their research using Google Scholar.
Except, have you ever wondered where Google Scholar gets its records from? Google Scholar pulls records from databases like our own CIAT Research Online, from the publishers of your journal articles, and from less-regulated spaces like ResearchGate. Though the books and paper have largely disappeared, you still rely on reputable systems in order to share your work with others. CIAT library, part of CIAT’s Data, Information and Knowledge group, has evolved to make sure your information needs are still being met, and that your own work is being managed properly, as per today’s standards. This includes the management of non-academic materials such as policy briefs, infographics, and manuals (arguably, some of your most engaging work).
Here is a synopsis of what your information services team can do for you today:
- We provide you with full-text access to scientific journals, and research tools such as Web of Science. More information on CIAT subscriptions and tools can be found here.
- We provide you with full-text copies of limited access materials. Please email the library at CIAT-Library@cgiar.org for help finding specific papers.
- We can assist you with conducting a high-quality, systematic literature review and train you to use Web of Science and Google Scholar for the same purpose.
- CIAT Library can help you find the right journal for your publication.
- We offer solutions for how to publish Open Access, including the open archiving of your manuscripts.
- We answer your questions regarding Open Access.
- We help you avoid publishing in predatory journals. A list of Open Access journals, with corresponding Impact Factors can be found on the CIAT Intranet (for internal use).
Post Publication Support
- We archive both your formal research publications and grey literature, so that you can tie all of your work together in one place.
- We keep your work feeding into important places, such as CIAT’s website, CCAFS website, and Google Scholar.
- We offer solutions for how to create an academic profile using tools such as ORCID, ResearchGate, and Google Scholar.
- We provide you with stable and permanent links to use in your Tweets and blog posts.
- We provide you with statistics on the number of downloads, number of citations, and/or the social media attention your publications receive.
Please contact us for assistance on any of the above. Or, if you have an idea for how we can support you better.
Elizabeth is your primary library contact. She can help source limited access articles and ensure your publications are being archived properly.
Carlos provides technical assistance with CIAT databases and individual e-journal subscriptions.
Data and Information Manager
Leroy answers questions regarding Data and Information Services overall. Please contact him if there are any gaps in our services.
Megan would like your feedback on how to make library services at CIAT work better for you. She can also provide general library assistance.
Send us your ORCID Number!
If you have not already done so, please register for an ORCID number here. SEND the number to us. We have already started tagging CIAT Research Online authors with ORCID numbers. This helps us keep our repository records tidy and your name consistent. See this example, and watch this video for a handy overview of what ORCID can do for you.